8/4/08

Spec work ? it’s work for architect too, i think

“Will you show me a few samples of your ideas for my project so I can get a feel for your work?”
My answer is always no. we has a great entry about spec work in graphic design, and in short: don’t do it. You should be able to refer potential clients to your portfolio to get a feel for the type and quality of the work you do. If your portfolio feels thin, offer to do some pro-bono work for a cause you believe in, or rework pieces you’ve done that that didn’t make the portfolio cut.

In order to explain what spec work is, imagine this scenario:

I went for a dental check-up yesterday. After the dentist inspected my teeth, she suggested some work to prevent further tooth decay. I told her to go ahead, and if the dental work was satisfactory, I’d be more than happy to pay. She responded that she wouldn’t be able to do that, because she normally provides a service when a fee is agreed upon up-front. I said I’d let her know after I checked in with other local dentists.

Sure, this scenario is unlikely. When you visit the dentist, an appropriate rate of pay is expected for professional services. Yet every day, graphic design professionals are asked to provide free services in the hope of being paid if the result is acceptable. It’s called speculative work, or free pitching, ’spec’ for short, and is considered unethical among leading graphic design associations around the world.

Why free pitching for graphic design doesn’t work

Design contests and spec work can be frustrating for designers, who feel the value of their profession is not understood. In a speculative scenario, the graphic designer is chosen for the product produced, and not for the service offered. Graphic design is not a commodity. If graphic design becomes a commodity, then the designers’ role in the spectrum of business services will be greatly reduced. Personally, I don’t undertake spec work, and have published this blog post to educate those potential clients who ask me about it.

Architectnote.com

No comments: